Wednesday, May 23, 2007

And Now The Torture Begins!

I thought I would begin this post by showing you first Ellen's leg as it was this very morning! We think that it looked wonderful this morning. (More about that past tense in just a bit.) There was very little swelling, and you can see that it is healing quite nicely.

The second picture shows how her leg looked at the first dressing change in the hospital. These two pictures are for all you nurses, and anyone else who wants to know just what to expect for a total knee replacement.

Ellen had a good day UNTIL the therapist showed up this afternoon. This is a different therapist from the one who came on Monday. This one seemed to think Ellen should be doing more. She really worked her out hard to the point of tears. If you know Ellen, you know that she has a very high tolerance level for pain. This lady therapist seemed to want to see just how much pain she could inflict. My poor Ellie. Anyway, tonight her knee and surrounding area hurt her a lot; plus, you wouldn't believe how much it had swelled. I just put her to bed with ice. She had to take two pain pills. I just pray that she will get a good night's rest. Last night she only rang the ring-a-ding-dinger once around two o'clock this morning.

On the bright side, the medical supply place delivered her shower chair with transfer bench this morning. The young man set it up, and then told her that he really thought she should have the hand-held shower kit. He figured that she would want it, and sure enough, she did. He said that he could not install it. (So you know who got that job!) It didn't take me very long, and it works like a charm. She is really looking forward to getting into the shower in the morning. Bless her.

I went to Barnes and Noble this afternoon and got her a piece of her favorite Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake. At least it made her feel a little better.

Keep her in your prayers! Until next time . . . .

4 comments:

Nichole said...

yumm... cheesecake!

Chris, my tai chi instructor would be very upset to know about the therapist. Since he teaches the Tai Chi for arthritis program he gets very into physical therapist, doctors and others who are actually doing more harm then good. Its all about slow gentle movements. He had told me in Dallas to tell my mom some of the best things she could do for some therapy is some of the Cloud Stepping that I had originally taught her. I hope this lady doesn't come back!! she sounds MEAN.

Anonymous said...

Ellen, sounds as though you are doing great in spite of some therapists! Keep up the good work. The cheesecake should work wonders.

Anonymous said...

Sis, you never cease to amaze me! The talents that you have are many. I know that Ellen is eternally grateful to you and on the other hand you are eternally grateful to Ellen for all that she has done for you. You two are accomplishing much.

Unknown said...

Sharon . . . You are so funny! I can really visualize your trip to Albertson's. How many people did you knock down with your cane so that Ellen could get through without any trouble? Hee!

Thanks for the warning not to look at the incision. However, just because you said that - I looked! Ha! See you both Sunday. Love and prayers, Mary